To help out my employer, the City of Calgary, I thought I’d start posting some of the positions available in Communications. Here’s one that is currently posted and closes AUGUST 27, 2012:
Basic Job Information
Posting Title: Communication Consultant
Business Unit/Section: Community and Neighbourhood Services/Director’s Office
Location: 300, 315 – 10 Avenue S.E.
Union/Position: Exempt/Temporary (up to 24 months)
Compensation: Exempt Level D
$63,759 – 94,921 per annum
Hours of Work: This position works a standard 35 hour work week.
Business Unit Information
Community & Neighbourhood Services builds on our ‘people capital.’ Children, youth, seniors and neighbourhoods rely on our community services for their recreation and social needs, so they can build strong, healthy individuals and communities.
Community and Neighbourhood Services is seeking a highly motivated communications professional to fill the role of Communications Consultant. This position will provide strategic communications counsel to senior leadership and management in CNS and be an integral member of the Community Services and Protective Services communications team.
The successful candidate will be a well-rounded generalist operating at the high end of competencies with senior experience in all facets of marketing, communications and media relations. Responsibilities include:
- Develop communications plans and marketing strategies that foster strong relationships with partners, clients and internal stakeholders.
- Provide strategic communications advice to senior leadership on initiatives and issues relating to operations and projects.
- Actively work with senior management on communications best practices to enhance and grow the potential of program reach.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to support administration in proactively identifying and mitigating issues.
- Liaise with staff to ensure and enable consistent marketing tactics and messaging.
- Indentify opportunities to enhance awareness of programs and outcomes with the local media, partners and potential clients.
- Support the Director’s office with communications planning and strategy related to internal communications.
- Develop, maintain and implement communications tactics that support communication strategies (i.e. news releases, marketing collateral, briefing notes, digital content etc.).
The successful candidate must possess a degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Business or a related field with a minimum of six years of progressively senior experience in communications and strategic planning. A designation in Accredited Business Communicator (ABC), Accreditation in Public Relations (APR), or Communications and Advertising Accredited Professional (CAAP) is considered an asset. Familiarity with community development processes, facilitation skills and change management is also considered an asset. A minimum of six years experience providing strategic communications counsel to support administration in proactively identifying and mitigating issues is preferred. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies: superior interpersonal skills, flexibility, strong organizational skills, political sensitivity and the ability to coach staff and leaders at all levels.